Friday, March 6, 2009

In the early morning of Saturday, February 21, my father-in-law passed away. The Sunday before he had eaten lunch with us, as usual, but not his usual quantity, complaining of a full feeling in his stomach. On Tuesday he went into a semi-comatose state with two doctors disagreeing as to the cause. On Thursday we still had hope he would come out of it, but on Friday the doctor said to call his children in America. In the end, in his coma, he appeared to have difficulty breathing and swallowing. Was he suffering? We don't know. At 6 a.m. on Saturday morning he passed away, at home, a few hours before his daughter and son who still live in New York arrived. Perhaps it was better that way. May we all remember him as he appears in this photo from a wedding a few years ago, full of fun and life. Rest in Peace Umberto.Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Jennyff said...

Diane, I'm sorry to hear your sad news and send condolences to you and your family. Umberto looks very happy in the photography, use these good memories to help you through this difficult time.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for your great loss! He looks as though he lived a long life. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Warmly,
Mary

Diane said...

Thank you both for your condolences.

Claudia said...

I am going through sadnesses/challenges with similar situations. (And often cope by cooking!) It was a lovely tribute. May the good times give you and your family strength.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, this took me by surprise. I was just coming over to your blog to leave you a message and saw the post about Pio's Papa. Please send me the complete spelling of his name so I can have masses said for him. We are unable to come this summer due to large Catholic University expenses. Economy & College have hit us hard. Perhaps the following year will be better. Give Pio a kiss and tell him we miss him!

Jane said...

Diane, thank you for signing up as a follower on my blog. How's Dante? Does he still have a blog?

Ice Tea For Me said...

Hi Diane, I'm so sorry to hear about your FiL. Prayers to you and your family.

I may be in your area in early June, maybe we can meet. Send me an email @ iceteaforme@gmail.com.

Linda